Today begins a new chapter for me and my family. It’s hard to imagine that this long time subscriber to one of the most influential and respected music & cultuer magazines is now it’s EDITOR-IN-CHIEF!!! Many have asked why!
- I love music as well as films and pop culture.
- Time Warner (the owners of the magazine) were looking to shake things up and bring in some new blood.
My vision for the magazine is to proudly continue the tradition that’s made Rolling Stone one of the most popular music & culture magazine in the history of magazine publishing. Our great team of writers and art directors will stay in place for the foreseeable future. A few changes I’d like to see take place though:
- I’d like to slightly revise our rating system for music - I believe we should add a star so there is the potential for a six star review (perhaps only as a nod the the “six string” guitar)
- would like to introduce cartoons in the style of the New Yorker but with rock themes.
- return focus to the bands and artists that helped build Rolling Stone into the Icon that it is, with celebratory stories, covers and features on Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, Eagles, Rolling Sones, The Beatles, Zeppelin, etc…
Many, many thanks to Jann Wenner for his assistance over the past few crazy weeks. I don’t think anyone can over estimate his role in the magazine and I know he will be staying on in an advisory role to help with the transition. I can’t imagine a scenario in which Jann’s input won’t be nessessary.
And now, it’s time to rock & roll!
Editor-In-Chief, Rolling Stone Magazine
December 3, 2012